Gorean Quotes

a place for favorite quotes

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Honor

Loss Of Importance Betrayal - Codes No Mere Point 97th Aphorism
Dangerous Lies Hypocrisy Home Stones Impugn Honor Idea - Honor
Code - Warriors Back - Main Page

Loss Of:
"Yes," I said, "once long ago, in the delta of the Vosk, I lost my honor. I know that never can I find it again. That honor, which was to me my most precious possession, was lost. It is gone, and gone forever. It is like a tarn with wings of gold, that sits but once upon a warrior"s helm, and when it departs, it returns no more. It is gone, and gone forever." I looked at them, and looked, too, upward at the stars of the Gorean night. They were beautiful, like points of fire, marking the camps of the armies of the night. `Yes," I said, again regarding the men of Tyros, `I have lost my honor, but you must not understand by that I have forgotten it. On some nights, on such a night as this, sometimes, I recollect it." ~ Hunters, pg. 275-76


Importance Of:
"Honor is important to Goreans, in a way that those of Earth might find it hard to understand; for example, those of Earth find it natural that men should go to war over matters of gold and riches, but not honor; the Gorean, contrariwise, is more willing to submit matters of honor to the adjudication of steel than he is matters of riches and gold; there is a simple explanation for this; honor is more important to him." ~ Beasts, pg. 42


Betrayal of Codes:
"I once betrayed my codes," I said. "It is not my intention to do so again." I looked at her. `One does not know, truly what it is to stand, until one has fallen. Once one has fallen, then one knows, you see, what it is to stand." ~ Beasts, pg. 340


No Mere Point of Honor:
"You risked so much for a mere point of honor?" she asked. "There are no mere points of honor," I told her." ~ Vagabonds, pg. 63


97th Aphorism:
"The 97th Aphorism in the Codes I was taught," I said, "is in the form of a riddle: "What is invisible but more beautiful than diamonds?" "And the answer?" inquired Labenius. "That which is silent but deafens thunder." The men regarded one another. "And what is that?" asked Labenius. "The same," said I, "as that which depresses no scale but is weightier than gold." "And what is that?" asked Labenius. "Honor," I said." ~ Vagabonds, pgs. 304-05


Most Dangerous Lies:
"What of honor?" I asked. "An inconvenience," he said, "an impediment on the path to power." "You seem to me," I said, uncertainly, "one who might once have had honor." "I have outgrown it," he said. "The most dangerous lies," I said, "are those which we tell ourselves." ~ Vagabonds, pg. 468


Honor In Hypocrisy:
"But, why," I asked myself. "Should not, rather, one be more ashamed by deceit than the truth? Can there truly be a greater honor in hypocrisy than in honor? It does not seem so. We grow fond of our myths. Yet our myths are like walls of straw. Ultimately they must perish in the flames of truth." ~ Guardsman, pg. 257


When Speaking of Home Stones:
"One who speaks of Home Stones should stand, for matters of honor are involved here." ~ Tarnsman, pg. 27


Unwise to Impugn Honor:
It is seldom wise, incidentally, to impugn, or attempt to manipulate, the honor of a Gorean. ~ Mercenaries, pg. 297


Idea of Honor Involved:
When Goreans get the idea that honour is involved, they sudden become quite difficult to deal with. ~ Magicians, pg. 400

Code of Warriors:
The Code of the warriors, in general, characterized by a rudimentary chivalry, emphasizing loyalty to Pride Chiefs and the Home Stone. It was harsh , but with a certain gallantry, a sense of honor that I could respect. A man could do worse than live by such a code. ~ Tarnsman, pg. 41

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home